In conjunction with the Town of Coventry, the Connecticut Department of Agriculture and Joshua’s Trust, a beef cattle farm started nearly one hundred years ago has been saved. More than half of the 83.3 acres consists of prime farmland soils.
The property is quintessential farm land with a winding road leading to it. The scene is set with rock walls, a river running its course on the eastern side of the property and a farm pond tucked behind the barn. The land extends as far back as the Willimantic River’s bend and cows pasture casually across the fields.
Roland E. Reynolds co-owns the farm with Gary F. Reynolds. The east parcel is owned by Roland D. Peila, who has named his farm, Rivers Bend Farm. Roland Reynold’s great grandmother came from Poland around 1900. The young immigrant labored in the textile mill factories of Lawrence, Massachusetts before she eventually married and bought this farm with her husband in the early 1920s.
Fun fact: This is the first protected farm in the town of Coventry.